Monday 7 March 2011

Eye Care After Cataract Surgery and Lens Implants

Cataract surgery -- the most performed surgery in the world -- has improved markedly. This surgery has a success rate of more than 97 percent. Still, you need to take good care of your eye or eyes after surgery. The first step is putting in eye drops to prevent infection and control eye pressure.

Your eye or eyes will react to the surgery in several ways. You may have a stinging sensation, an itching sensation, a gritty feeling (your eye feels like there is sand in it), sensitivity to sunlight and bright lights. A Mayo Clinic website article, "Cataract Surgery: What You Can Expect," describes surgery and aftercare. Do not rub your eye or press on it, warns Mayo. You may have a discharge in the corners of your eyes. To remove the discharge wipe your eye gently with a warm wash cloth. Hold the cloth over your eye gently and do not make any pointing motions.

The Cataract Surgery website, in the article "Life After Cataracts: Cataract Surgery Recover Basics," tells patients to take prescribed medicine exactly as the doctor recommended. You can take showers after cataract surgery, the site notes, but keep your eye closed. I had cataract surgery on both eyes and lens implanted in both eyes. When I showered I kept a dry towel close at hand in case I got water or soap in my eyes.

Though my recovery was normal, I had a problem with dry eyes. I have acne rosacea and dry, gritty eyes are a symptom of it. This dryness, combined with the natural itching after cataract surgery, was bothersome, so I used artificial tears several times a day. My eye doctor approved the use of artificial tears, but said I should never use the type that gets the red out.

I also had an odd experience after my second cataract surgery and lens implant. One day, when I was in a hurry, I yanked a t-shirt over my head. I did not know the neck of the t-shit had shrunk, and it scraped against my eyes as I pulled it over my head. Thankfully, my eyes were not hurt. Though I still wear the t-shirt, I stretch the neck a bit before putting it on.

Have you heard of defensive driving? Well, you need to practice defensive living after cataract surgery and a lens implant. Guard your eyes at all times. I found this out after my husband turned over in his sleep, swung his arm over, and barely missed my eye.

Before the surgery I wore prescription sunglasses. Now I do not need them and bought a pair of over-the-counter sunglasses for every day wear. However, I have prescription eye glasses for reading. You can help your eye doctor get the best outcome from cataract surgery and a lens implant by practicing defensive living, using artificial tears if approved, taking your prescribed medicine, and putting in eye drops on schedule.

Today, I have 20/20 in both eyes and the world is a colorful place again. "Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful," Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "for beauty is God's handwriting." God's handwriting has never looked more beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I have been looking into getting my eyes fixed. I am trying to become a pilot and I know that can't have contacts or glasses if you want to fly. I am trying to find out how long I will be out of commission and when I should start flight school. I'm glad I read this article, thanks. http://www.tri-stateeyes.com/about

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your blog frequently and I just thought I’d say keep up the amazing work! https://yaldoeyecenter.com

    ReplyDelete